Monday, June 9, 2008

Hiking Socks "Adventure"

Well, my plan of finishing two pairs of hiking socks in one month didn't pan out.
Finding the yarn took a bit. I had a hard time finding colorways that I thought "fit" Nate & Ann's personalities. I also REALLY wanted it to be superwash BFL...but that didn't work. Finally settled on these...superwash merino that I double stranded with white Wooly Nylon serger thread.


Then I had to find a pattern. Since I wanted matching stripes and socks that were the same size, I thought I would try "toe-up" socks. I didn't want to ask Nate & Ann for their foot measurements so I was going to make tube socks. I learned a new cast-on method & went to work. Not one for fancy stitches it was just going to be 2x2 ribbed. I started with Nate's (the greenish one) cuz I was most afraid of running out of yarn for him.

Well I figured I'd run out if I did ALL ribbing up the top of the foot, so FROGGED it & tried it in stockinette after the ball. Decided to try my hand at a short row heel & this is what I got...

with only 24" of yarn left in the 1/2 skein :O

Jumped online & tried to find more yarn from the same manufacturer...looks like they went under recently. I couldn't find much at all. Finally found some leftovers that looked like they might coordinate. I ordered one more for each pair of socks & a third in case they colors didn't coordinate well. I couldn't tell from the website how long shipping would take, but it looked like it might be a while. So while I waited I decided to FROG what I had already done & start over...again. This time "top-down" socks with "heel stitch" to strengthen the fabric at the heel. I wanted to knit the cuffs of all 4 socks before the new yarn arrived (not knowing if I could get them all done in time)...and I broke down & asked for measurements knowing it might spoil the surprise :(

Turns out it took 2 weeks for the new yarn to get here >:(
But that was just enough time to do all 4 cuffs...


with a little extra time to make a stand-in gift...felted hot pads & oven mitts

FINALLY, the yarn arrived...but only 2 skeins!!
What? Where was the the third? The one I originally wanted?
SOLD OUT >:(
I received vermilion? More like dark mauve...

But it was a good match for the light purple areas on the original yarn for Ann.

And I received russet? More like bloody tomato...

YUCK! This wasn't going to work at all!!
My first thought was, "Great! Now I have to try to find more yarn!" But then a light bulb went off...I can dye it!! :) YAY!

First attempt with 6 packets Lemon Lime...

Splotchy :P

Second attempt with 5 packets Switchin' Secret & 2 packets Ice Blue Lemonade...

MUCH BETTER :D
Boy! They aren't kidding when they say that superwash yarn sucks up color! Lightning fast!

Now I knit every spare second I could so I could have at least ONE done for each of them to try on & I STILL was knitting the during the time they were here. Not very good hostess behavior, sorry :(
But here they are...


Now I just have to make the mates :)

No comments: