Thursday, October 2, 2008

JD Green & Kool Black

If you are my father..stop reading and come back after Christmas!

If not, please continue on...as long as you promise not to tell my father what you learn here :)LOL

I want to make my dad some socks for Xmas so I asked for color preferences...with the intention of doing some Kool Aid dyeing. His came back as gray & John Deere green! How was I going to get that? Then I remembered that I got a really nice green when I mixed 5 Switchin' Secrets and 2 blues (IBRL).


So I happened to find a box of 72 packets of Switchin'Secret on ebay...since I was all out (it's discontinued and hard to find) so I bought it. It came just the other day & I finally got around to working on this.
I knew I wanted some dark regions...preferably black and from my experimenting with Blackberry Ghoul Aid (also discontinued and hard to find) I knew that the best way to get black from the dark purple was to add green...PERFECT!

I started mixing the colors today....Switchin' Secret & Berry Blue and noticed that I didn't have the opacity that I did in the first batch from June....what was wrong? OH YEAH! I used Ice Blue Raspberry Lemonade...NOT Berry Blue...RATS! I knew I didn't have any of that left so I added generic lemonade and got this... I was pretty happy :D I poured the Blackberry on the yarn where I wanted it, then dunked the whole skein in the dyepot of green. I horribly tangled the skeins as I squished it around but I didn't want to get any white spots since superwash sucks up color so fast!. Here's the results. It's cooking in the crock pot right now. I'm very happy. I just hope it knits up well.

Here's the details:
2 Skeins Knit Pick's Bare Superwash DK (100g each)


# packets of KA per skein
3 Blackberry
5 Switchin' Secret
2 Berry Blue
3 generic lemonade (not pictured)


Mixed 1 packet Blackberry in 3 oz of H2O. Apply to yarn. Repeat 2 times till coverage is thorough.


Mix Switchin' Secret, Berry Blue, & lemonade


Add yarn to green dye & squish.



Here are some interesting colors from mixing up the green:
4 packets Switchin' Secret


4 packets Switchin' Secret & 2 packets Berry Blue

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I can't wait to see how that knits up - what a "kool" idea, lol!

Tamera Janneff said...

S-W-E-E-T. That looks great! I can't wait to see it knit up!