Friday, May 2, 2008

TORTUROUS baby blanket!!

I must keep knitting...I must keep knitting...I must keep knitting...I must keep knitting...I must keep knitting...I must keep knitting...

I have to keep repeating that to myself as I work on this blanket.
I offered my knitting services to make a baby blanket in a charity auction in February.
I had some worsted weight acrylic yarn that could've worked for boy & another for girl...the winner didn't like either. Luckily, my MIL gave me a TON of pastel baby yarn that had been crocheted into a huge unfinished blanket. Frogged it and got 9 medium sized balls of yarn to work with. Checked with the auction winner...it was a "go."

Ok so on April 1st, I cast on...frogged, cast on, frogged, cast on. Ugh!!
I think I cast on about 6 times before continuing on for a bit.
I originally was working with the yarn double stranded (on size 5 needles) cuz I liked how the colors popped out more from the white. After about 4" I couldn't take how tight the stitches were on the needles (there's lots of switching from purl to knit & back again so I wanted to make sure I was keeping the yarn tight enough). I changed the heads of the needle to size 4 to see if it got better, it didn't >:P
Frogged it all again!!
Cast on AGAIN!
This time single stranded on size 2, but still pulling pretty tight. Looks good...I'm happy about that :) But it is taking FOREVER!! The yarn is ~sport weight...good for socks (they're small) not good for blanket (it's big).
The auction was in February & the intended recipient of the blanket was maybe 4-5 mos pregnant then...I MUST finish soon!! I have finished all other knitted projects & have to constantly remind myself not to cast on anything else until this is done!!
If it was wool...maybe it wouldn't be so hard for me to keep going.
If it was for one of my own children...or someone I knew & cared about...ugh!

I'm about 3" farther than what's in this picture...so torturously slow!!


I must keep knitting...I must keep knitting...I must keep knitting...I must keep knitting...I must keep knitting...I must keep knitting...

No comments: